Drunk Driver…

Mom and I had “adventures” today.

On the way to take her for church, we were driving along Maitland to the Queensway when this guy zipped past us going WELL over the limit (probably between 75 and 80 km/ph in a 50 km/ph zone). He swerved almost into my lane.

Two blocks later, he swerved right up on the curb and almost jumped a snowbank, splashing the only pedestrian for a mile around. Had he jumped the snowbank, he would have killed the pedestrian. Then he veered into the left lane. A bit later, he veered back onto the curb, nearly  jumping another snowbank. He wandered back and forth across the lanes for the entire time.

By then I was pretty convinced that he was drunk so I got out my phone. I dialed 911 when he entered the on-ramp for the Queensway. He was swerving back and forth between the three fast lanes, sometimes signaling and sometimes not — cutting cars off and speeding well over the limit. Meanwhile, I was on the phone talking to the OPP dispatcher.

I hadn’t yet got his license plate and he was well ahead of me. Finally, at Parkdale, I caught up to him… the last time I looked at my speedometer, I was going just over 140 km/ph and STILL hadn’t quite caught up to him… I got his license relayed it to the dispatcher and dropped back to 100. He sped on.

We headed across to the 174 but when we hit Lees Avenue, the traffic suddenly came to an almost complete halt.

My “Spidey Sense” told me that there was an accident and that in all likelihood he was either in it or the cause of it… I pulled out my phone again and called 911 again and was just speaking with the OPP dispatcher, again when I started seeing debris… Sure enough… there was an accident and guess who was in it…

As a matter of fact, he was the only car in it. He had lost control and hit the left median cement barrier, careened across 4 lanes and hit the snowbank (luckily, instead of going over the cement barrier into the Rideau River) before coming to a stop in lane 3 (second from the right). There was another driver who had witnessed the accident and he was talking to him. I got out and talked to the driver who had witnessed it and I asked if the other driver was okay… “He isn’t injured but he’s drunk…”

Between the time I made the first call to the OPP and the time I made the second call was a TOTAL of 6 minutes… It must have been 4 or 5 between when I called and he had the accident. When I made the first call, we were in the West end of the city. By the time I made the second call, we were in the East end of the city.

He WAS drunk and was charged with impaired driving. I have to go to court.

He was damned lucky he wasn’t killed and damn lucky he didn’t hit anyone else. The other driver had his son in the car. Traffic was pretty heavy by then… He was lucky he didn’t cause a major accident.

It was 10:06 AM when I made my first call. How do you get so drunk by 10:00 AM???


Just a reminder...

Just a reminder...


  1. February 10, 2009 at 6:50 am

    That picture is distressing.


  2. azahar said,

    February 8, 2009 at 11:21 pm

    “Fuckhead” pretty much sums it up. I hope they throw the book at him.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: